Zander Park & Dog Park

 

Zander Park on the Southside has a shelter you can rent, and courts for volleyball and basketball, playground equipment, water fountain, and picnic areas with tables and 6 grills. It is also the city's FREE dog park.

Call 920-793-5592 for shelter rental info:
1 large grill, 16 picnic tables, 8 electrical outlets, bathrooms, seats 70 people.

Find in on the map


 
History of Zander Park

Zander Park was developed in 1967/68 with the assistance of the Junior Chamber of Commerce. The park is named for Arnold W. Zander and his wife Anna (Scheuer) Zander, who donated the land to the city in 1946.

The Junior Chamber of Commerce proposed developing the park in 1965 and, working with the city, acquired funding from the Land & Water Conservation Fund for the park and playground. The shelter house was added in 1968, and tennis courts in 1979. The dog park was moved there in 2010 when the former dog park location had to be turned into a stormwater retention pond to meet state clean water laws.

Arnold was active in city affairs, serving on the city council in the 1890s and the 1920s and 30s. He unsuccessfully ran for mayor in 1919. He also ran for several state-wide offices as an active member of the Wisconsin Socialist Party.

Arnold W. Zander died in October, 1959, at the age of ninety-one. His archives are stored at the UW-Green Bay, including his patent for a “music leaf turning” device.

 
Thanks in part to:
The Washington House
Two Rivers Parks and Recreation
And especially to the Zander family for this family history

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
Site Meter